Home About The Fame! Contact

Saturday 22 February 2014

Re-Inventing the Lamington 2014 Day Eight: Coconut Lamingtons

 I just freaking LOVE my hot pink background. Sorry not sorry if I overuse.


Some people call me Vanilla Boy, using the term in its modern slang sense. I say, 'If only they knew.'

But regardless, I thought a vanilla lamington might kick some ass. Imagine: fluffy vanilla scented sponge cake, dipped in a creamy white chocolate ganache and sprinkled with vanilla infused sugar crystals. Exciting, no?

Trouble is, as I got ready to make these vanilla lams, I lost interest. I didn't want to eat such a sweet and sickly sounding confection. I wanted coconut, and lots of it.

Now, you might say, looking at this blog, 'Wow. That's a lot of coconut! More than enough.' And you'd be absolutely right. But (and this is true of so many things in life), do you know what's better than just enough?

More.

So we're having coconut lamingtons. They are my favourite of the 2014 batch of Re-Invented Lamingtons. At least, they are my favourites out of the ones I re-invented myself. The lamingtons you have been re-inventing and tweeting me about look pretty sensational as well to be honest. I love seeing your entries when I do this every year, it makes me want to bust out my Blogging Community apron and just weep with happiness.

Right now I have to finish this post though, so my tears are on standby. If you want to Re-Invent the Lamington yourself, I'm running a great giveaway. Details here. Get involved!

Coconut Lamingtons

You will need:

1 x half batch Victoria Sandwich

300g icing sugar, sifted
50ml Malibu (I'm not even embarrassed.) 
100g dessicated coconut 

  1. To make slicing the cake into lamingtons easier, I wrap it in cling film and freeze overnight. Cut the frozen cake into 12 cubes, or as many as you like/can.To be honest, with this cake (which I baked in a 20cm square tin), as opposed to the chiffon cake I used for the other lamingtons this year, crumbing and breaking is less of an issue, but I still like nice defined edges so recommend the overnight cold treatment.
  2. Make the glaze: mix the Malibu and icing sugar together until smooth. If you need to thin it down a little more, use a few drops of hot water from the kettle. Set the dessicated coconut in a dish.
  3. Dip each cube of cake into first the glaze and then cover generously in coconut. Set aside on a wire rack to dry out. 
  4. We ate these with ice cream. I don't know why, but they felt much more like a dessert lamington than some of the others. 

4 comments:

  1. I've never had a Lamington. There I've said it! But I feel so ashamed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I thought of this post as I was making my Magical Coconut Pie yesterday. It's time for coconut lamingtons!

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails